[dropcap]I should[/dropcap] come with a warning label. Like a silk shirt. Dry clean only. Or a 100% cotton dress. Cold wash only. Lay flat to dry. Except that mine would say things like. Impatient. Respond to text messages immediately. Irrational. Doesn’t respond well to being turned down for plans (even if you have a good reason). Child-like. Handle with care. Just Sayin’.
So I was recently thinking. About Trucker Joe. And I was thinking. How hard I’ve been on him (in my mind) for it not being more obvious that he’s into me (btw I know I’m retarded and simply by continuing to call that should be clear but well…see irrational warning label above). Anyway. And I got to thinking about how he might be feeling. About me. And what I think. About him. Because the thing of the thing is. Except for the first text message. I’ve never texted first. My texts and/or calls. Have always been in response, in reply. And I’ve never been the one to ask about hanging out. Sure I’ve always said yes when he’s asked. And frankly that’s because his weekends are usually during the week and thus I’m free.
And I was out for coffee with a friend. And I mentioned this. And I mentioned how this week, he only had 4 days scheduled. AKA would be off on Saturday night. And she was like. So ask him out then. But I was hesitant. Because I can be irrational. And I can be very quick to feel jilted. And asking someone out for a Saturday night. That has big jilting potential. Plus I thought. What am I going to do. Ask him out and then be like. Uh…but we’ll hang out at your place alright? Nope. No good. So we brainstormed. And thus the idea of the Drive-In was born.
Reasons the Drive In Would Be Total Awesome Sauce
1. It’s in the city he lives in
2. I can drive over to his place and then we could take his truck (could that BE any sexier…a summer night at the drive in, in a pickup truck??? Just Sayin’)
3. After the movie we could always just go back to his place (afterall my car would be there)
5. Movies are awesome. Movies outdoors in the summer at the epitome of awesome.
6. He had actually mentioned it on our first date (finally I can score points for remembering something)
7. I would definitely get an A for effort.
But it’s Tuesday. So I can’t text yet. And then Wednesday rolls around. But I don’t want to seem too eager. Yet, I do need to do it soon. Because I don’t want him to make other plans for Saturday. So I wait. Till at night. And then I text.
Me: Hey Trucker Joe, Hope you’re having a good day. I was just wondering what you’re up to on saturday?
Trucker Joe: Hey SSD 🙂 my day was good. I’m supposed to be playing poker but it’s not for sure yet. What’s up??
Me: Gotcha. Well no biggie, just thought maybe we could go to the Drive In.
Trucker Joe: Can I give you an answer Friday??? Friend’s Name (his closest friend btw) is home then and I’ll know for sure what his plans are. The Drive in sounds like fun :)!
Me: Sure that’s fine. (very uncharacteristic of me…you know I like to have my weekends planned out well in advance and really hate the idea that a boy could screw me by being like no, sorry I can’t and then not having saturday night plans…but I’m trying to be less…well…like that lol!)
So manage to not be totally schizo. And I wait like a good little girl. Till Friday rolls around. And he calls. I miss it. It goes to voicemail. The message is a bit lame at first (could he be nervous?). But then he gets to it. Saturday’s a no can do. He got called in for another shift on Sunday. But he would LOVE to go the Drive In with me on Tuesday if I’m free.
And I can’t lie. I may. MAY. Have done a bit of crazy-chick-freaking-out. But like always. I contain the crazy. I NEVER show them the crazy. Keep the crazy to myself. And my friends. And I mostly blame PlentyOfFish. Because they have this stupid feature. That shows you. When someone who’s messaged you, or you’ve messaged is online. And so every so often I’ve seen him online (in the last couple of weeks). And it’s total hypocrisy. Because if I can see him online. I’m obviously online. And I know we’re free to see other people. But the thing is. I don’t want to be reminded of it.
Dear PlentyOfFish.com Operator,
Please install an “opt-out” button for online status alerting. You may entitle it, “we’re already dating though not exclusive which I’m fine with but I don’t need to see when they’re online prowling”. Thanks a ton.
So back to the crazy regarding this Saturday and his unavailability. The thing is though. As I write this. I’m no longer spinning. I’m breezy. And calm. And chilled. Frankly I blame hormones for the hysteria. Just Sayin’. But the reason I mention this is that instead of trying to recreate the level of crazy and momentary hysteria for you guys from memory. I’ve decided to just include part of an email I sent to a friend. At the moment. So yeah. Sorry for any duplication of what I’ve already said.
So my thoughts are several fold
– yes I know he can get called into work so that COULD be totally legit…but how did it go from possibly busy with poker to can’t because of work??? except that if it was something like a date with another chick or something wouldn’t he just stick with “poker” and like why bother making up something else…which I guess makes sunday believable
– but then I’m like okay…so he worked W, T, Fr, and he’ll work Sat, & called in for Sun…so I’m like…probably not working monday then right? so why not monday night…which by the way I know is insane that I’m suddenly like…!!! We have to hang out the first night he gets off work and not the second (hysterical voice)!!!…and I don’t even know why I’m spinning like this…
okay actually that’s not true…reasons for spinning are also several fold (TMI Warning – aside from female approaching lady time hormones)
– I’m freaking out a bit because I AM actually a jealous person…BUT…and here’s what made me think I could be not exclusive and have it be no big deal…as long as I’m important and/or number 1…I don’t care if he’s dating other chicks….but how would I even know if I’m number one you ask? well because he would always make time for me…aka…I think this is why I’m freaking out….because part of me doesn’t believe the sunday biz…(though I think I probably should)
– oh and for reference…no…he has not given ANY indication that he’s even dating other chicks…the only cause for suspicion I have is 1. plentyoffish is retarded and tells you when someone you’ve messaged/has messaged you is online (if only they had a button for like…yeah…we’re dating but not exclusive yet so no need to tell me he’s on browsing for other chicks button) (and ps I know it would be totally hypocritical to be pissed because if I can see he’s online I’m obviously online as well and there ya go). The only other indication is that we always seem to hang out on monday or tuesday night…(again hence why saturday appears so important to me)…but as I’m typing I realize how crazy this seems because duh those are likely his days off and thus has time to hang out….
– also this makes me feel a bit jilted because it’s the only time I’ve asked him out
– it also concerns me a bit how illogical/jilted I feel and thus makes me think I might be in over my head thinking I could be “not exclusive” yet actually dating (as opposed to just booty call or something) with someone…urgh…
So yes. I aware I was totally spinning and flipping out. And I’m back to normal now. Thanks in huge part to her advice back to me and ice-cream with TheHel. And the thing about advice. Is sometimes it can be the simplest thing. But the simplest thing that you never even considered. And that’s what it was. Things that hadn’t even occured to me.
Now as far as Trucker Joe goes, maybe he saw the Dr and got some meds and wants to give good measure to make sure his junk is working? I know Id be pretty embarrassed about that and kinda wanting to wait it out.
I dont think its another chick. Your guys dates usually last pretty late right? Maybe poker would have ended sooner, or its just easier to say bye to his buddies for work instead of a girl hes interested in? It doesnt seem shady to me.
So I texted him back. Sorry I missed your call. Tuesday sounds great 🙂
Vancouver Dating Blog: Dating Vancouver a Better Place, One “Something” at a Time